The recent news regarding COVID-19, or what's being called the coronavirus, has understandably caused worry. At this time, the CDC has reported that "the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low."
Please be assured that WCPS is working closely with the local Department of Health, in conjunction with the Virginia Department of Health (VDH), in monitoring the status of the virus and is following current guidance from the VDH and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
What You Can Do
In the meantime, there are things you and your family can do now to help prevent illness. According to the VDH, best practices include:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Not touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Taking flu antivirals if prescribed by your healthcare provider if you have the flu.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Staying home when you are sick.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
What WCPS is Also Doing
In addition to the above precautions, WCPS is also taking the following steps:
- Collecting and monitoring daily student and staff absences due to illness.
- Ensuring desks, tables, common areas and busses are disinfected on a daily basis.
- WCPS Food Services is putting into effect the next level of food safety. These strategies include:
- Eliminating self serve items whenever possible
- Using individually wrapped foods whenever possible
For More Information
- CDC has created resources to help you plan for a pandemic. Visit www.cdc.gov/npi for the latest information and resources.
- Please reach out to Michael E. Hirsch, Ed. S. Director of Special Services with any questions or concerns.
- You may also reference this helpful FAQ sheet and disease basics information on COVID-19.
- Please also reference the Virginia Department of Health in regards to updates on the Coronavirus in Virginia.
- What you need to know about Coronavirus disease 2019
- COVID-19 Checklist
- Preventing COVID-19 spread in communities
- Valley Health Coronavirus Updates
- How to Wash Face Coverings
- Staff Symptom Checker
WCPS Letters Sent Home